The Elk Refuge Inn is committed to providing great customer service and quality accommodation whilst striving to achieve complete environmental, financial and social sustainability helping to preserve our delicate ecosystem for future generations. Our commitment extends to every aspect of our operation. Our executive management team works closely with The Riverwind Foundation to implement best practices, monitor and review environmental initiatives which improve our sustainability performance.
“Sustainable tourism development requires the informed participation of all relevant stakeholders, as well as strong political leadership to ensure wide participation and consensus building. Achieving sustainable tourism is a continuous process and it requires constant monitoring of impacts, introducing the necessary preventive and/or corrective measures whenever necessary. Sustainable tourism should also maintain a high level of tourist satisfaction and ensure a meaningful experience to the tourists, raising their awareness about sustainability issues and promoting sustainable tourism practices amongst them.“ -World Tourism Organization, 2004
The Elk Refuge Inn believes that in order to support the ideology of sustainable tourism you MUST embrace responsible tourism through key efforts we undertake including:
- Being culturally sensitive and encouraging respect between local hosts and tourists
- Making positive contributions to the conservation of native culture and heritage
- Improvement of working conditions for the workforce
- Helping to generate economic benefits for host communities by investing in the community
- Minimizing negative environmental, economic and social impact
- Helps to provide access to those who face barriers
- Promote and provide positive and memorable experiences for tourists through connections with the community and providing an understanding of local, social and environmental issues.
Finally, as hosts, we believe and promote ecotourism in our fragile and diverse eco-system helping to preserve them for future tourism, but also for the community benefiting from the financial gains that come through tourism. We encourage all of our guests through various mediums to respect the rules and regulations of our national lands to help mitigate impact for conservation and preservation of these lands.